Monday, December 29, 2014

Testing

I've been working on ways to make the frames faster and more consistent.  In particular I've been working on the joint process.

Below is the new release layer being removed from the test joint prior to laying the carbon fiber.

After a standard bagging and baking process this is the result "out of the oven".  It took only seconds to unwrap the test joint.  Previously, using release cloth, this was a time consuming process.

Below on the left is the bare sanded tube I used for the test joint.  On the right there are 5 layers of uni-directional carbon.  It almost looks transparent in the photo but it's actually the texture of the tube itself duplicated in the new release layer process.

On one half of the joint I experimented with allowing resin overflow through small holes in the release layer.  Not sure it was worth the extra effort, not much resin flowed out into the breather layer.  I's also difficult to remove the little epoxy nubs cleanly.

Up next should be a new road frame using this process for the tube joining.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a nice looking frame and head tube! I'm in the KW area and looking to start a hobby frame building project. I would like to run a tapered steer tube mountain bike fork. Where abouts do you get your head tube from? They look quite nice!

Glen J said...

Scott,

The head tube I use now is from ENVE. They used to custom lay up carbon tubes for small orders but not any more. Have you looked into using a non-tapered 44mm tube and an external lower cup? Chris King Inset 7 headset will fit a 44mm straight head tube and a 1.5 to 1.125" tapered steerer.

Jamie at McPhails has my phone contact information if you want to get in touch.

Unknown said...

Hi Glen, you're bikes look amazing! I am looking into building my first carbon bike, and was wondering where you get your unidirectional prepreg from?


Thanks,

-Riley

riley.wiebe7@gmail.com

Matt Conrad said...

Glen,

I also build custom carbon frames and was curious as to how you used the "Stretchlon" Bag material and Aeropoxy Light in a high temp environment. I heat to 250 (per pre-preg data sheet) and neither of those products are rated near that temp.

Glen J said...

I purchase all my prepregs from

http://prepregs.com/

Glen J said...

Matt,

I'm using Strechlon 800 which is rated to 400F. I'm not using the Aeropoxy for fillets, I used DP420 mixed with glass micro spheres to form a paste.

Unknown said...

All the contents you mentioned in post is too good and can be very useful. I will keep it in mind, thanks for sharing the information keep updating, looking forward for more posts. Thanks
carbon road bike wheels

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Question said...

Hey Glen,

Great blog and good work! Can you tell me where you purchase the carbon wishbone SS and CS?

Thanks!

Glen J said...

They were purchased from ENVE composites. I don't know if they are available any moore.